
Luxury Jungle Oasis: Hotel Amazonas, Mexico City Awaits!
Luxury Jungle Oasis: Hotel Amazonas, Mexico City Awaits! - A Messy, Honest Review (and a Plea to Book!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from the Hotel Amazonas in Mexico City, and honestly? My brain is still trying to unpack it all. This isn't your sterile, cookie-cutter hotel review. This is the real deal, warts and all. Think of it as a travel diary vomited onto the page, seasoned with a healthy dose of opinion.
First things first: Accessibility. Now, I'm not in a wheelchair, but I did spend a good chunk of my trip nursing a questionable street taco. I'll tell you, the thought of navigating stairs while battling the inner demons of a spicy meal… well, let's just say I appreciated the elevators. Elevator access is a HUGE plus here. I saw several ramps, and the staff seemed genuinely helpful – not just the polite kind, but the actually-want-to-help kind. They've got facilities for disabled guests, which, from what I saw, seemed pretty decent. The CCTV in common areas and Security [24-hour] gave me peace of mind, even when my stomach was staging a revolt.
Cleanliness and safety? This is where the Hotel Amazonas shines. They're practically obsessed with hygiene. Anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection in common areas, professional-grade sanitizing services… I swear, I saw a hazmat suit-clad staff member chasing a stray dust bunny. Okay, maybe not that dramatic, but you get the picture. Rooms sanitized between stays, hand sanitizer everywhere, and the staff? Staff trained in safety protocol – they actually knew what they were doing. The safe dining setup gave me confidence to eat everything I could get my hands on, and the individually-wrapped food options were a godsend for a germaphobe like me. The room sanitization opt-out available is a nice touch, too – for those who like to live on the edge, I guess.
Now, let's talk about the good stuff: Relaxation. Oh. My. Goodness. The Spa/sauna? Forget about it! I spent a solid afternoon lost in a cloud of steam and bliss. I swear, I think I saw my worries melt away like ice cream on a hot sidewalk. They have a body scrub, and body wrap, and all sorts of things that make you feel like a pampered (and slightly prune-like) god. The Pool with view? Stunning. I mean, breathtaking. I spent an hour just staring at it, pretending to be a sophisticated travel blogger, while secretly plotting my next cocktail. Fitness center, Gym/fitness? Yeah, they have those too. I walked past them once. Okay, twice. Let's just say I'm more of a "relax and eat" kind of person.
Things to do? Mexico City is a treasure trove, but even if you just want to chill at the hotel, you're set. The swimming pool [outdoor] is gorgeous, and the terrace is perfect for a quiet moment with a book (or, let's be honest, a phone).
Dining, drinking, and snacking. This is where I REALLY got into trouble. The restaurants are a culinary adventure. They have Asian cuisine in restaurant and international cuisine in restaurant. I'm a sucker for a good buffet in restaurant, and this one didn't disappoint. The breakfast [buffet] was a glorious spread of everything you could imagine – from fresh fruit to chilaquiles. The coffee shop was a lifesaver, and the poolside bar? Well, let's just say I made some new friends there. I even had the pleasure of trying the salad in restaurant. Let me tell you, it was the best salad I've ever had!
Now, about the rooms. The non-smoking rooms are a blessing in a city where everyone seems to be puffing away. The air conditioning is a must-have, especially after a day of exploring. My room had a window that opens (essential for fresh air), a mini bar (tempting!), and a safe box (peace of mind). The bed? Oh, the extra long bed was heaven. And the bathrobes? I practically lived in them. I also, I remember a mirror!
Services and conveniences. They really thought of everything. Daily housekeeping, laundry service, concierge… they even have a doorman! The luggage storage was a lifesaver, and the currency exchange was handy. The car park [free of charge] is a huge bonus in a city where parking can be a nightmare.
For the kids? They have babysitting service and are generally family/child friendly, so you parents can enjoy the spa.
Getting around: The airport transfer was a lifesaver after my hellish flight. They also have taxi service.
Internet. Okay, so Wi-Fi [free] is a standard these days, but I still appreciate it. I was able to upload some pictures of my adventures!
The Imperfections (Because Life Isn't Perfect)
Okay, here's the messy part: I did encounter a few minor hiccups. The room service [24-hour] was a little slow one night (hangry me was NOT pleased). And, the Internet access – LAN (remember those?) seemed a little… archaic. But honestly, these are tiny blips in an otherwise stellar experience.
My Absolute Favorite Thing… and Why You Should Book
Okay, I'm going to gush. The best part of the Hotel Amazonas? The vibe. It's not stuffy or pretentious. It's relaxed, friendly, and welcoming. The staff? They genuinely seem to care. They're not just going through the motions. They want you to have a good time.
So, here's the deal: If you're looking for a place to escape the chaos of Mexico City, a place to relax, rejuvenate, and maybe even indulge in a few too many margaritas, the Hotel Amazonas is it. It's a true Luxury Jungle Oasis.
My Offer to You:
Book your stay at the Hotel Amazonas NOW! They're offering a special deal for my readers (yes, you!). Mention the code "MEXICOADVENTURE" and get a free spa treatment (your choice!) and a complimentary bottle of tequila upon arrival. (Disclaimer: I may or may not have influenced this offer. Okay, I definitely did.)
Don't wait! Mexico City is calling, and the Hotel Amazonas is waiting to welcome you with open arms (and maybe a sanitizing wipe). You deserve this. Trust me. Go. Book. You won't regret it.
Escape to Fairytale Germany: Hotel Vetter Nurtingen Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's meticulously planned itinerary. This is my attempt to survive (and maybe even thrive) in Mexico City, all while trying to sleep in the Hotel Amazonas. Pray for me.
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Tortilla Debacle
1:00 PM - Landed! (Or, More Like, "Survived the Flight") Holy guacamole, I'm in Mexico City! The air smells… different. Like exhaust fumes mixed with delicious mystery. Found my bag (miracle!), and now the real fun begins: navigating the airport. It’s a whirlwind of people, luggage, and the faint scent of desperate souls trying to find the bathroom.
2:00 PM - Taxi Tango. Negotiating a taxi from the airport is already proving to be a contact sport. The driver's eyes are gleaming, and his Spanish is a rapid-fire torrent. I think I understood "mucho traffic," "expensive," and "tip." I settled for the middle ground and hopped in. Praying he doesn't take me on a scenic tour of the city's less-savory parts.
3:00 PM - Check-in at Hotel Amazonas. The lobby is… well, it’s got a certain charm. By "charm," I mean a slightly faded grandeur and a distinct smell of old wood and, maybe, a hint of desperation. The staff is friendly enough, though my Spanish skills are basically "Hola" and "Gracias" – which, let's be honest, won't get me far. My room is… small. But hey, it's a room. And the shower works. Score! (For now.)
4:00 PM - Initial Exploration & The Tortilla Trauma. Okay, time to hit the streets! I wandered out, feeling like a slightly bewildered tourist. Found a little taqueria near the hotel. Ordered some tacos. This is where things went sideways. The tortillas. Oh, the tortillas. They were… thick. Like, seriously thick. I tried to fold them, but they just crumbled. Ended up looking like a complete idiot, wrestling with a taco that refused to cooperate. The taquero just smiled and shook his head. I'm pretty sure he was laughing at me. I think I may have eaten a few tortillas with my hands, which is probably a big no-no.
6:00 PM - The Search for Coffee (and Sanity). After the tortilla debacle, I needed caffeine. Desperately. Found a tiny café that looked promising. The coffee was strong, the people-watching was even better. This is where I decided to make a list of things I need to learn: 1) How to fold a tortilla. 2) More Spanish. 3) How to not look like a complete idiot.
7:00 PM - Dinner (Take Two, with Less Tortilla-Wrestling). Found a slightly more "tourist-friendly" restaurant. Ordered something that didn't involve tortillas. Success! Ate a delicious plate of enchiladas, and started to feel slightly less like a total failure.
8:30 PM - Bedtime. Exhausted from the travel, tortillas, and general cultural overload. The bed is a bit firm, the pillow is flat. But hey, it's a bed. Time to sleep and recharge for the next day's adventures, with all their potential for disaster.
Day 2: Culture Shock & Cathedral Clumsiness
- 8:00 AM - Breakfast (A Tortilla-Free Zone, Thank God). The hotel breakfast is… well, it's something. The coffee is weak, but there's bread, fruit, and some kind of scrambled egg situation. I avoided the tortillas completely. Baby steps.
- 9:00 AM - Zócalo & The Metropolitan Cathedral. Decided to be a tourist and visit the Zócalo and Metropolitan Cathedral. This place is HUGE. The cathedral is breathtaking, and I spent a while just staring at the architecture, trying to wrap my head around the history. I did, however, nearly trip over a small child. Oops.
- 11:00 AM - The National Palace & The Diego Rivera Murals. The murals were incredible. The detail! The colors! The sheer scale! They made my brain hurt a little, in the best possible way. The sheer amount of information in those paintings is overwhelming. I stood there for a long time. Soaking it all in.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch (Taco Redemption Attempt). Okay, I figured I had to try tacos again. This time, I went to a place that looked a little less intimidating. The tortillas were thinner. I folded them carefully. Success! I ate a taco without looking like a complete fool. I am officially Taco-Fluent!
- 2:30 PM - The Frida Kahlo Museum (The Casa Azul). This was supposed to be the highlight. I love Frida Kahlo. But the museum was… packed. Like, sardine-in-a-can packed. I could barely see anything. I did manage to catch a glimpse of her bed, which was kind of haunting and beautiful. The crowds, however, were killing my vibe. I had a minor emotional breakdown (internal, of course).
- 4:00 PM - Escape and the Search for Serenity. I fled the museum, feeling overwhelmed and a little bit sad. Decided to find a quiet park and just breathe. Found a little oasis of green and spent an hour just people-watching and trying to calm down.
- 6:00 PM - Dinner & A Little Mariachi Music. Found a restaurant with a mariachi band! The music was lively and fun, even if I only understood about half of the lyrics. The food was good, and I finally started to feel like I was actually enjoying myself.
- 8:00 PM - Back to the Hotel. Feeling slightly less overwhelmed, but the Frida experience still haunts me. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
- 9:00 PM - Bedtime. Sleep will be a luxury!
Day 3: The Teotihuacan Temple & The Great Climb of Doom!
- 7:00 AM - Rise and Shine (ish). This is the day of the pyramids! I'm trying to be optimistic, even though the thought of climbing a massive ancient structure is slightly terrifying.
- 8:00 AM - Teotihuacan Bound! Found a tour that seemed halfway decent. The guide, a middle-aged woman named Maria, seemed alright.
- 9:30 AM - Arrival at Teotihuacan. Holy. Crap. The pyramids are HUGE. Like, mind-bogglingly massive. I stood there, mouth agape, feeling like an ant.
- 10:00 AM - The Pyramid of the Sun: The Climb of Doom. Maria said, "Are you ready to climb?" My inner voice screamed, "No!" But I nodded. The steps are steep. Like, really steep. I was sweating. My legs were burning. I was pretty sure I was going to die. But, I kept going. The view from the top… was worth it. The entire site stretched out before me, in all its glory. I felt a mix of awe and pure, unadulterated exhaustion.
- 11:30 AM - The Pyramid of the Moon: The Slightly Less Grueling Climb. Okay, this one wasn't as bad. But still. More steps. More sweating. More questioning of my life choices. The view was still incredible.
- 1:00 PM - Lunch at Teotihuacan. Found a little restaurant near the site. Ate some delicious tacos and drank a cold drink. Needed to refuel after that climbing marathon.
- 2:00 PM - The Avenue of the Dead. Walked along the main thoroughfare, admiring the ruins and trying to imagine what it was like to live here centuries ago. History is amazing.
- 3:30 PM - Back to Mexico City. Exhausted, sunburnt, and slightly delirious.
- 5:00 PM - Rest and Recuperation at the Hotel. The hotel room has never looked so inviting. Took a long shower, and collapsed on the bed.
- 7:00 PM - Dinner (Something Easy). Found a small, casual restaurant near the hotel. Ordered something simple. I can barely move.
- 8:30 PM - Bedtime. I am officially done for the day. Tomorrow, I'm staying in bed. Maybe.
Day 4: Final Day & The Great Departure
- 9:00 AM - Sleep in! Okay, maybe not. But I did have a slightly later start.
- 10:00 AM - Exploring La Condesa & Roma Norte. These neighborhoods are beautiful! Full of cool cafes, colorful buildings, and a general air of hipness. I feel a little out of place, but I'm enjoying the vibe.
- 12:00 PM - Lunch in La Condesa. Found a trendy little restaurant and ate some delicious food. Feeling like I've finally gotten the hang of this whole Mexico City thing.
- **1:30 PM - The Museum

Luxury Jungle Oasis: Hotel Amazonas - Mexico City - You HAVE Questions, I Have (Some) Answers!
Okay, so... "Jungle Oasis" in Mexico City? Is this some kind of elaborate prank?
Look, I get it. Mexico City? Concrete jungle, tacos, maybe a mariachi band or two. Jungle? Sounds like someone got a little *too* creative with the marketing. BUT! The Hotel Amazonas actually pulls it off. Sort of. Think less Tarzan swinging from vines and more... lush, meticulously landscaped gardens that *feel* like a secret world. Seriously, I spent a solid hour wandering around the courtyard, convinced a sloth was going to pop out at any second. (Spoiler: No sloths. Just incredibly well-fed hummingbirds.)
It's not a *true* jungle, but it's a damn good imitation. And after the chaos of Mexico City, that's... well, it's almost sacred.
Is it *actually* luxurious? Like, marble bathrooms and fluffy robes luxurious?
Alright, alright, let's talk luxury. Yes. Mostly. The rooms? Gorgeous. Modern, clean lines, those HUGE windows that look out onto... well, the "jungle." My room had a rainfall shower that was so powerful, it almost ripped my skin off (in a good way!). The robes? Fluffy. The bed? I actually considered moving in permanently. BUT… and there’s always a but, isn’t there? The elevators were a bit… temperamental. I got stuck in one for a solid ten minutes. Thankfully, I had a book and my sanity intact. The wifi? Spotted and patchy like a giraffe's hide. Luxury? Yes. Flawless? Nah, honey, this is still Mexico City, not some Swiss chalet.
What about the food? Gotta know about the food!
Okay, food. THIS is where the Hotel Amazonas really shines. The breakfast buffet? Forget about it. It’s a *culinary experience*. Freshly squeezed juices, mountains of fruit, chilaquiles that will make you weep with joy. And the coffee? Strong enough to wake the dead (and probably keep you up until 3 am, but WORTH IT). I swear, I ate enough tacos for a small army. One morning, I saw a guy trying to smuggle a whole plate of pastries out in his backpack. I considered joining him. I didn't, but the temptation was *real*.
The restaurant for dinner? Pricey, yes. Worth it? Absolutely. The presentation is exquisite, the flavors are incredible, and the margaritas… oh, the margaritas. Let’s just say I may have lost count after the third. And the staff? Impeccable. They anticipate your every need. They also seem to know every single dish, so even if you don't speak Spanish, you're alright.
Is the location good? Is it safe? I’ve heard… things… about Mexico City.
The location is great! It's in a swanky, well-heeled part of the city. Think leafy streets, beautiful architecture, and enough chic boutiques to max out your credit card. Safety? It felt very safe. The hotel has security, the area is well-lit, and I didn't feel uneasy walking around, even at night. Of course, you still need to be aware of your surroundings, as you would in any big city. But I walked around a lot, and I felt pretty secure. I mean, I saw a dog wearing a tiny sweater, which is usually a good sign of a safe neighborhood, right?
What kind of activities are there in the hotel?
Oh, the activities! They have a spa, which I didn't get to try (regrets, I have many regrets). They have a gym, which I *did* try, briefly. Let's just say the treadmill and I had a very short-lived relationship. They have a lovely pool area, which is perfect for lounging. I spent a glorious afternoon there, reading and sipping cocktails. My favorite thing was just wandering around the gardens. Seriously. It's like a secret world, and you can spend hours just getting lost in the beauty. And the birds! The birdsong is just incredible.
Are there any downsides? Be honest!
Okay, honesty time. Yes, there are downsides. As mentioned before, the elevators. The wifi is spotty. And the price? It’s not cheap. This is luxury, remember? I'm also not sure about the sustainability of the "jungle" aspect. I mean, how much water are they using? I didn't ask, because I was too busy enjoying the margaritas. Oh, and the constant hum of the city can be a little distracting at times. But honestly, the good far outweighs the bad. My biggest regret? Not staying longer. And not trying the spa. And not taking a picture of the dog in the sweater. Damn it.
Would you go back?
In a heartbeat. Honestly, I'm already planning my return. The Hotel Amazonas is a little slice of heaven in the middle of a bustling city. It's beautiful, it's relaxing, the food is incredible, and it's an experience I won't soon forget. Sure, it has its quirks, but that’s part of the charm. It's not perfect, but it's perfectly wonderful. Just promise me you'll try the chilaquiles. And send me a postcard, will ya?
Any tips for first-timers?
Okay, listen up! First, pack comfortable shoes. You'll be doing a lot of walking. Second, learn a few basic Spanish phrases. Even a little "hola" and "gracias" will go a long way. Third, bring a good book (or download some podcasts - that wifi, remember?). Fourth, and this is important: don't be afraid to get lost. Wander the streets, explore the markets, try the street food. Mexico City is a vibrant, exciting place. Embrace the chaos, the beauty, the deliciousness. And most importantly, book your stay at the Hotel Amazonas. You won't regret it. And if you see a sloth, tell him I said hello.
One last thing: the most memorable moment of the trip? Spill!
This is tough, there were so many! The sunrise over the "jungle" from my balcony? Magical. The margarita that tasted like pure sunshine? Sublime. ButHidden Stay

