
Unbelievable Philly Stay: Marriott Old City's Hidden Gem!
Unbelievable Philly Stay: Marriott Old City's Hidden Gem! - My Honest (and Slightly Messy) Review
Okay, so let's get real. Finding a good hotel in Philly can feel like navigating a cheesesteak-fueled minefield. But after my recent stay at the Marriott Old City, I'm here to say… hold the phone… this place might actually be a hidden gem. And yes, I'm talking hidden, because honestly, I almost missed it amidst the historic hustle and bustle!
(SEO Keywords: Philadelphia Hotel, Old City Hotel, Marriott Philadelphia, Accessible Hotel Philadelphia, Family-Friendly Hotel Philadelphia, Spa Hotel Philadelphia, Free Wi-Fi Philadelphia, Philadelphia Weekend Getaway)
First Impressions (and a Quick Confession):
Stepping into the lobby, I felt… relieved. Not just from the Philly humidity, but from the overwhelming feeling that I'd made a terrible booking decision. The Marriott Old City isn't flashy, it's not trying to be the trendiest spot in town. It's comfortable. And after a long drive, that's exactly what I needed. The staff, bless their hearts, were genuinely friendly. No robotic greetings here! They seemed happy to be there, which, let's be honest, is a HUGE plus in the hospitality world.
Accessibility - A Huge Win!
Now, I didn't personally need any special accessibility features, but I made a point of looking around and asking questions. And I was seriously impressed. This place is a champion for accessibility! The elevator is spacious (a major win for anyone with mobility issues), and I saw plenty of facilities for disabled guests throughout the property. I'm talking ramps, accessible rooms (I peeked, they looked fantastic), and a general sense of inclusivity that's often missing in older buildings. This is a huge shout-out to the Marriott Old City – you're doing it right!
Rooms - My Cozy Little Fortress:
My room? Ah, my little haven! Let's be real, after a day of pounding the cobblestone streets of Old City, all I wanted was a comfy bed and a dark room. The blackout curtains were a lifesaver! Seriously, they blocked out all the light. I'm talking, "couldn't tell if it was noon or midnight" level darkness. The bed was a cloud of fluffy goodness, and the bathroom was clean and well-appointed. Okay, I will admit, the hair dryer wasn't the most powerful, but hey, it got the job done. There was free Wi-Fi (thank GOD!), a desk (for pretending to work), and a refrigerator (for storing emergency chocolate). The air conditioning worked like a charm, a total necessity in Philly summers. I did like the additional toilet.
(Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.)
Cleanliness and Safety - Gotta Give It to Them:
Let's face it, in today's world, cleanliness is everything. And the Marriott Old City clearly takes it seriously. I saw staff trained in safety protocol, daily disinfection in common areas, and plenty of hand sanitizer stations scattered around. They even offered room sanitization opt-out, which I thought was a nice touch. They're using Anti-viral cleaning products and have rooms sanitized between stays. It felt safe and secure, and that's a huge weight off your shoulders when you're traveling.
(Cleanliness and safety: Anti-viral cleaning products, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment)
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – The Good, the Okay, and the "Meh":
Okay, let's be honest, the food wasn't the highlight of my stay. The restaurant, while serving Western cuisine and International cuisine, was a bit… bland. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard, but I'm not going to lie, I did appreciate the coffee/tea in restaurant. They also have a coffee shop (thank goodness for caffeine!), a bar (for those post-sightseeing cocktails), and a snack bar (for late-night cravings). The room service [24-hour] was a lifesaver one night when I just wanted to collapse in bed with a burger. They also offer alternative meal arrangement, which is thoughtful.
(Dining, drinking, and snacking: A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Restaurants, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant)
Things to Do and Ways to Relax – More Than Meets the Eye:
This is where the Marriott Old City really surprised me. They have a fitness center (I’m not a gym person, but good for those who are!), and a spa. Now, I’m not usually a spa kind of gal, but after a long day of walking, I booked a massage. And wow. It was heavenly. The therapist was fantastic, and the whole experience was incredibly relaxing. I felt like a new person afterwards! They also have a sauna and a steamroom, which I didn't try, but they looked inviting. Sadly, they don't have a swimming pool but they do offer Body scrub and Body wrap.
(Things to do, ways to relax: Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom)
Services and Conveniences – The Little Things That Matter:
The Marriott Old City offers a ton of services that make your stay easier. They have concierge service, daily housekeeping, laundry service, and a convenience store. They also offer currency exchange and cash withdrawal – super helpful! The Wi-Fi was reliable, and there were plenty of meeting/banquet facilities if you're traveling for business. I appreciated the elevator and the doorman.
(Services and conveniences: Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center)
For the Kids - Family Friendly!
I didn't have kids with me, but I noticed the hotel caters to families. They have babysitting service, which is a huge plus! They also have family/child friendly facilities.
(For the kids: Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal)
The Quirks and Imperfections (Because Let's Be Real):
Okay, time for the real talk. The Marriott Old City isn't perfect. The decor is a bit… dated. Think comfortable, but not necessarily Instagram-worthy. And the location, while in Old City, isn’t right in the middle of the action. You'll need to walk a few blocks to get to some of the main attractions. Parking can be a bit pricey (they offer Car park [on-site] and Valet parking), but hey, that's Philly for you!
My Anecdote: The Spa Escape!
Okay, let's get real. I walked so much around Philly, I was dying! My feet were screaming, my back was aching
Escape to Paradise: Maya's Cozy Chiang Mai Oasis w/ Pool & Parking!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this ain't your grandma's itinerary. This is my Philadelphia Marriott Old City survival guide, and it's gonna be a bumpy, beautiful ride.
Day 1: Arrival and the Pre-Philly Panic
- 1:00 PM: Touchdown at PHL. Okay, deep breaths. I hate airports. The fluorescent lights, the jostling crowds, the general feeling of being herded like cattle…ugh. Found my luggage, finally! Seems like the airline decided to give my suitcase a scenic tour of… well, I don't know. It smells like it's been to a farm.
- 2:00 PM: Uber to the Marriott. The driver, bless his heart, was either incredibly chatty or completely deaf. I'm leaning towards the latter. Either way, he regaled me with tales of Philly traffic while I tried to mentally prepare for the historical overload I was about to face.
- 2:30 PM: Check-in. The hotel is…fine. Standard Marriott. A little beige, a little corporate, but the staff is surprisingly pleasant. My room? Ah, the sweet, air-conditioned sanctuary. But wait, a tiny room with a view of a brick wall? Seriously?! Okay, I'll get over it. (Probably.)
- 3:00 PM: Unpack. Or, attempt to. My suitcase explosion of clothes and travel-sized toiletries is a disaster. I swear, I pack like I'm moving in.
- 4:00 PM: Exploring the immediate surroundings. Okay, Old City. Cobblestone streets! Historical buildings! I feel like I've stepped into a movie set. I'm already overwhelmed.
- 5:00 PM: The Liberty Bell: More Like the Liberty Bummer? Okay, here's the thing. I was expecting… more. The line was long. The bell itself? Cracked. And everyone's crammed around it like they're trying to get a glimpse of the Mona Lisa. I get the historical significance, I really do. But I kind of felt… underwhelmed. It's a bell. A cracked one. Maybe I'm a terrible person.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at a nearby Italian restaurant. Carbonara. Glorious, creamy carbonara. I needed that. (And a glass of wine. Or two.)
- 7:30 PM: Stumbling back to the hotel. Exhausted but strangely exhilarated. This city is already getting under my skin.
Day 2: History, Hype, and Hidden Gems (and a Whole Lot of Walking!)
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. Standard hotel breakfast. The coffee is weak, but the bagels are surprisingly decent.
- 10:00 AM: Independence Hall. Alright, this was impressive. Actually standing in the room where the Declaration of Independence was signed? Chills. Absolute chills. The tour guide was a little dry, but the history? Mind-blowing. (And the fact that I almost missed the tour because I got distracted by a squirrel is a story for another time.)
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at Reading Terminal Market. Okay, this is where Philly truly shines. A sensory overload of food! Cheesesteaks! Pretzels! Amish baked goods! I wanted to eat everything. I settled on a cheesesteak from… well, I can't remember the name, but it was amazing. Messy, cheesy, delicious perfection. (And yes, I might have accidentally gotten some on my shirt.)
- 1:30 PM: Elfreth's Alley. The oldest residential street in America! Charming, quaint, and picture-perfect. I felt like I was walking through a postcard. The cobblestones, though? My ankles are screaming.
- 3:00 PM: The Betsy Ross House: A Surprisingly Wholesome Experience. Now, I'm not a huge history buff, but I found this place unexpectedly charming. The guide was enthusiastic, the house was small and cozy, and I actually learned something! (Plus, I may or may not have bought a Betsy Ross bobblehead. Don't judge.)
- 4:00 PM: Exploring the shops and art galleries in the area. I stumbled on a quirky little vintage shop and almost bought a hideous, yet somehow alluring, 80s blazer. (Self-control, people, self-control.)
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at a highly recommended restaurant. It was supposed to be a culinary masterpiece. The service was slow, the food was pretentious, and I ended up wishing I'd just gone back to the cheesesteak place. (Lesson learned: Trust your gut.)
- 8:00 PM: Attempting to watch a movie in my room. The TV remote has a mind of its own. Gave up and just stared at the brick wall. Contemplating life.
Day 3: Museum Mayhem and the Philly Farewell
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast at the hotel again. Slightly less enthusiasm this time.
- 10:00 AM: The Philadelphia Museum of Art. Time to hit the famous "Rocky Steps". I ran up them. I'm not sure why. Then, I went inside. The art was… intense. I appreciate art, I really do. But after a couple of hours, my brain started to melt. So much art. So many masterpieces. So little time to absorb it all.
- 1:00 PM: Lunch at a casual cafe near the museum. I needed something simple. A sandwich. A salad. Some caffeine.
- 2:00 PM: The Barnes Foundation: An Unexpected Revelation. Okay, this museum? Blew. My. Mind. The collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art was incredible. The way the art was displayed was so unique and visually stunning. I could have spent all day there. (And I almost did.) The best part? I accidentally spent an hour looking at the wrong paintings on the wrong floor. It didn't matter.
- 4:00 PM: Last-minute souvenir shopping. Found a quirky t-shirt that says, "I survived Philly." Perfect.
- 5:00 PM: Back to the hotel to pack. The suitcase explosion is even worse now.
- 6:00 PM: One last cheesesteak. This time, I found a place that lived up to the hype. Pure, unadulterated deliciousness.
- 7:00 PM: Uber to the airport. Goodbye, Philly. You were messy. You were overwhelming. You were… unforgettable.
- 8:00 PM: Flight home. Already planning my return.
Final Thoughts:
Philadelphia, you're a beautiful, chaotic mess. You're full of history, culture, and some of the best food I've ever tasted. And even though my ankles are throbbing, and my suitcase is a disaster, I wouldn't trade this trip for anything. This itinerary? Yeah, it's a mess. But it's my mess, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a nap. And maybe a cheesesteak.
Uncover the Hidden Gem of Tirontillana Cuéllar, Spain: You Won't Believe This!
Unbelievable Philly Stay: Marriott Old City's Hidden Gem! (Or Is It?) - FAQ!
Okay, spill the beans! Is this Marriott *really* a hidden gem, or just another hotel pretending to be special?
**But Here's the Real Deal:** I'd say it's a *mostly* hidden gem. Let's just say it has its quirks, like a slightly eccentric aunt. Sometimes she's amazing, sometimes she's wearing too much perfume and telling you about her cat's digestive issues.
The location sounds great, but what about the *room*? Was it like, clean? Like, *really* clean? Because I'm a germaphobe.
**My Room-Related Adventure:** There was a tiny, almost imperceptible, smudge on the mirror. And I mean *tiny*. Like, I only noticed it because I have a weird compulsion to check for smudges on mirrors. But it was there. And it bugged me. (I *did* consider cleaning it myself, but then I thought, "No! This is a *review*! I must suffer for the art!") Also, the air conditioning was a little… loud. Like, a gentle whirring that occasionally decided to sound like a jet engine. I’m a light sleeper, so that was a *joy*. But hey, at least it kept the room cool!
What about the *staff*? Were they friendly? Did they seem like they *cared*?
**The Elevator Saga:** I had a *moment* with the elevator. Actually, it was more like a prolonged, slightly panicked, five-minute dance with the elevator. It got stuck. For like, five minutes. I’m not claustrophobic, but the air got a bit… thin. I pressed the emergency button. Nothing. I started banging on the door. Nothing. Finally, I heard a muffled voice. "We're working on it!" (Great. Working on it. In the elevator. Where I was trapped.) Eventually, it lurched back to life. The staff apologized profusely, but honestly, I was just relieved to be alive. It *was* a little terrifying, and it did make me question the overall… structural integrity of the building. But hey, things happen, right? (Right?)
Did they have a good breakfast? Because a bad breakfast can ruin a whole day.
**The Breakfast Buffet Blues:** The breakfast buffet was... standard. There was the usual spread: scrambled eggs (a little dry, if I'm being honest), bacon (crisp, thank goodness), pastries (a little stale), fruit (mostly okay), and a waffle maker (which, let's be honest, is the only reason to eat breakfast at a hotel). The coffee was… well, it was coffee. Drinkable, but nothing to write home about. The line for the waffle maker was sometimes a bit… long. I'm impatient in the morning, so this was a minor stressor. Overall, it was fine. Edible. Fuel for the day. But not a *memorable* breakfast, if you catch my drift. I'd give it a solid "meh." I mean, I didn't get food poisoning, so that's a win.
Anything else I should know? Hidden fees? Secret downsides? Give me the dirt!
**The "View" Situation:** My room faced… a brick wall. A very tall, very imposing brick wall. The "view" was… not a view. It was a wall. So, if you care about views, definitely request a room on the other side of the building. I didn’t, and I regretted it every time I opened the curtains. Seriously, the wall was *right there*. It was like the hotel was saying, "We know you're here, but we don't care about your visual enjoyment." Rude.
**Final Verdict:** Would I stay there again? Maybe. If the price was right and I wanted to be in Old City, absolutely. But I'd definitely request a room *not* facing the brick wall. And I'd pack my own coffee maker. And maybe a small hand towel to clean the mirror. And… oh, you know what? Maybe I'll just bring my own room. Just kidding. (Mostly.) It's not perfect, but it's a decent base of operations for exploring a really cool city. Just go in with realistic expectations, and you'll be fine. And for the love of all that is holy, check the elevator before you get in.

